Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Flowers for Algernon

Q4. Which Charlie do you like best- the one with an IQ of 68 or the one with an IQ of 200?

I like the Charlie Gordon who was intelligent. The reason for this is that I find the Charlie Gordon who was stupid is very very saddening. He cannot understand what other people were saying. It is a very sorry scene to see Charlie Gordon being made fun of by his "friends".

Although I agree that he was arrogant at first and was not sociable, he soon learnt that everyone deserves respect. If he did not regress mentally, I think he would have made many new friends. at the same time, the smart Charlie Gordon could research many things for mankind. For example, he could have made a way to triple somone's IQ and not regress. Also, the operation made him more emotionally mature and he is not as childish as before.



Since he has already matured emotionally and mentally, why would we want him to go back to his pityful state before? I don't understand why people like the stupid Charlie. Is it because of sympathy?


Please post comments to help me improve on this post.


Thank you






No comments: