Pages

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Is it your duty to give to Charity?

I think that it is my duty to give to charity. However, some others do not regard it is a duty.

As a Christian, I feel that what I have, be it money or things, are all graciously provided by God. God wants all Christians to love other people. Thus, we are compelled yet willing to give to charity. Charity work will benefit less fortunate people in the society. Also, many times charity work actually touched many people's hearts and they also became Christians.

Putting religion aside, I personally feel that it is still our duty to give to charity. This is because I am very moved by pictures of people in poverty or handicapped people. They have very little to eat and millions die from diseases and hunger every year. I sometimes try to put myself into their shoes and imagine not eating for days or being blind, and I realise it is unimaginable unless you experience it first hand. I try to do my part to help them by donating money to charity. That is the least one can do.

Some people really do charity work. They give up their life of luxury to go to poverty-stricken countries to provide aid to the poor. They devote their whole life to doing charity work. I heard of one man who climbed mountains to raise awareness of handicapped people, and a handicapped person travelling around the world in his wheelchair. If the handicapped can do that, the least I can do is donate money, right?

However, it is sad that there are many selfish people in the world. Yes, they give to charity, but not because of love, but to increase their popularity. The public puts a lot of pressure on rich people to donate to charity. However, some of these rich people do not give willingly, but give to make sure that they do not receive criticism from the public.

Even more saddening is the fact that there are some people who do not give to charity at ALL! They scold people who are collecting money for charity and refuse to do charity work.

I hope everyone can give to charity generously and help poor people cope in this economic crisis.

No comments: